Students will compare and contrast the military life of Sparta to the academic life in Athens. Students will decide if it is better to be smart or strong in a society. They will study the philosophies of both cities and how successful each city was at that time period.
Essential Question --Is it good to be different?
1. Why is it important to be smart?
2. Why is a strong body good for protection?
3. Is a strong army better that a smart army?
1. What did Athenian teachers’ stress in their schools?
2. How were the young boys trained in the military in Sparta?
3. Why were the arts important to the Athenians?